Random Realm: Trimming the Map

I previously showed how I turned a map generated in Dwarf Fortress into something usable in a tabletop RPG game. At 250,948 square miles, the map that resulted is about 2.6 times the size of the UK, which is too large for a starting campaign. For this portion, I’m going to work on trimming the map down to a more manageable size and making it useful for actual gaming.

Step 4: Trim the Map(s)

Trimming the map is as simple as zooming in on a particular portion and cropping out the rest. Since I used a 24-mile hex scale previously, I can keep things at the same scale here. I’m not resizing things, I’m just cropping. Here’s the cropped map:

I chose this section based on the kind of terrain I thought would make for a fun campaign. I specifically wanted something temperate, with access to mountains, the sea, and not too many deserts. Deserts, to me, suggest a specific kind of campaign that’s different than standard D&D. Not to say that this will necessarily turn into bog-standard D&D, but I’m reasonably confident that I don’t want to run something with a lot of deserts.

 

 

 

Step 5: Convert to a Hex Map

I really like the look of the pretty map that the GIMP plugin created, but I find hex maps more useful on the GM side of the screen. My goal is to ultimately produce two maps: a graphically appealing fantasy map and a useful hex map.

To make a campaign hex map, I’m turning to yet another piece of software: Worldographer. One nice feature of this program is that it lets you drop an existing map onto a background layer to help decide where to place hexes representing the predominate terrain.

For that purpose, the original Dwarf Fortress ASCII map is actually a little more useful, because each of those ASCII symbols roughly translates into a specific type of terrain, which can in turn be represented by a single hex. The DF map, when cropped identically to the prettier map and dropped onto the Trace Underlay layer of Worldographer, looks like this:


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After I add hexes for Terrain, the map looks something like this:


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next Steps

I’ll need to add more realistic coasts, terrain features like rivers, and make general improvements and tweaks to the campaign hex map.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mutant Crawl Classics inspired patron for DCC: The Star Child

Why is Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition So Expensive?

Wednesday Dwimmermount: A Few Thoughts on Running the Game (Session 1)